Sam Buchanan's RV6

Who Is Sam?

sam-3.jpg (12849 bytes)


This page will give you some background into my brief but terrifying aviation history. Perhaps my background is similar to yours, hopefully it is not. If you want to skip all this biographical blather, click here to get to the airplane stuff. I had to put this page in here because my momma wanted me to. And I was taught to listen to my momma. 

In the beginning...

It began to look dangerous in 1987 when I started building and flying R/C planes. This lead to a rather intense period of activity during which I was a contributing editor writing kit test reports for a nationally published R/C aircraft magazine. My main interest was large, slow-flying semi-scale models that flew in a realistic manner and could carry small animals and unruly children. The following images were cover photos for the aforementioned prestigious tome. 


Following a bribe, a designated FAA type provided me with a private pilot ticket in 1990. After a LARGE bribe, the same individual decided it was safer to have me flying out of sight in the clouds and reluctantly processed my instrument rating in 1993. The instrument training occurred in a 1977 Piper Warrior in which I owned a fourth share, the share that always broke. For five years I flew this faithful if somewhat boring steed while I developed the steely nerves and gravelly voice that is befitting of the proper pilot. 

In 1992, I started construction of a Fisher Flying Products Super Koala, an all wood, two-place TaylorCraft clone with one of those Rotax 582 screamers in the cowl. The Koala was flown for 164 hours, most of which were very enjoyable, and a few that were considerably exciting, but that is another story.

1994 saw the construction of a TEAM Minimax, a wonderfully flying little bird. The Minimax is just like the RV3 except it is made of wood, has an open cockpit, a 35hp engine, tops out at 70mph, and looks different. Sixty-five uneventful hours and 90 seconds of silence were experienced in the Minimax until a fellow pilot performed a structural stress analysis to the ultimate failure mode (he crashed my plane). 

In 1996, a partner and I bought a 1940 J3-C65 that was about 75% into a rebuild. We consequently finished the remaining 25% which cost 85% and accumulated 500 incredibly fun hours in the wonderful Cub. The Cub inspired a true story about a flight with a friend, and another story about a very special flight. Alas, the Cub had to go when it was time to buy RV engines (my partner built an RV8 and RV-7). 



See da planes...

If you don't mind waiting a few moments while some jpegs download, you can check out the above-mentioned aircraft (except the Warrior...everybody has seen a Warrior). 

 The Hangar 



Getting Ready to Build   

Back to "The RV Journal" front page


Please submit all questions and comments to



Table of Contents

RV6 Home

Who is Sam? 
The Hangar 

Getting Ready to Build 
     Odd 'n Ends 

Building the Tail 
     Horz. Stab Log 
     Vert. Stab Log 
     Rudder Log 
     Elevator Log 

Building the Wings
     Wing Spars
     Wing Assembly
  Fuel Tanks

Building the Fuselage


  Flight of  Rediscovery 

  The Beat Goes On 

The RV Journal
Front Page 

Talk to Sam


Van's Aircraft