Please visit us on Facebook and "like" the Alabama Wheelmen page. Alabama Wheelmen on Facebook.
New for 2013: there is a public “group” for the Alabama Wheelmen: Alabama Wheelmen Facebook Group
The Alabama Wheelmen will be launching a new sponsored team for 2013. Stay tuned for more details.
Wheelmen is the original bicycle racing club for the state. The club was formed to promote amateur racing
and was affiliated with the Amateur Bicycle League of America, which form in
the 1920’s which later became the United States Cycling Federation in
1975. Currently, after an inactive
period from 1999 to 2009, the club has been revived through the efforts of a
group of dedicated cyclists in Huntsville.
This group is committed to promoting healthy lifestyles and fair
competition by organizing events, education programs, and rider
development. In 2012, a club team was
fielded with a custom club jersey produced and used for competitions. The AW riders contended events from Berlin,
TN, to Montgomery, AL and Atlanta, GA, and also right here in Huntsville. The eventual goal is to establish a
competitive circuit of bicycle races within Alabama to include a season-long
points series for all levels of cyclists.
Furthermore, a grassroots push for safer road conditions will be on the
agenda. All those who would support our
efforts are asked to join the facebook group using the link above.
Alabama Wheelmen Cycling Club
The Christina Genco Alabama Memorial Ride was held June 3, 2012. This ride was held near Fort Payne in
memory of Christina Genco, who was struck and killed in 2011 while riding her
bicycle. The Alabama Wheelmen will hold a similar ride in 2013. The following files provide information for
the 2012 event:
One of the first races in the Southeast region for 2012 was the Alabama Wheelmen Speedway Criterium, held Mar. 3 at the Huntsville Speedway. This was a competitive event with a prize list of $500. You can find the official flier here: http://www.usacycling.org/events/getflyer.php?permit=2012-670.
by Alabama Wheelmen to Promote All Levels of Competitive Cycling in Alabama
· The Alabama Wheelmen seeks to expand and intensify racing in the great state of Alabama. After several years of inactivity, this club is reforming to help keep competitive cycling accessible to as many citizens as possible. Road and track events will be promoted primarily in north Alabama where an enormous potential for bicycle racing exists.
· Track-style racing will be promoted at the Huntsville Motor Speedway. This facility has proven well suited to fast and exciting events similar to those held in a true velodrome. The banked oval provides a fast quarter-mile circuit for racers to go head-to-head for sprints, points races, and pursuit events, to name but a few formats to be used.
· Mass-start road races aimed at building much-needed experience for beginners will be promoted. These events will emphasize safety while allowing new bicycle racers of all ages the opportunity the experience the thrills of competition.
· Comments and support from the entire cycling community of Alabama are welcome. Address email to email@example.com
· The Alabama Wheelmen organized the Toney Time Trial, which was the first road race of the 2009 racing season for Alabama, on Feb. 1, 2009. Click here for more info including results.
· The Alabama Wheelmen organized the Speedway Omnium on April 5, 2009. This race was similar to velodrome racing using the banked oval at the Huntsville Speedway. Click here for more info including results.
· Alabama Wheelmen will be holding the Cave Spring Time Trial on Mar. 12, 2011, starting at Cave Spring Baptist Church in Owens Crossroads, AL.
· The Alabama Wheelmen sponsored the Speedway Omnium on July 15, 2011, at the Huntsville Speedway.
· The Alabama Wheelmen sponsored the Speedway Clinic Series on Sept. 1, Sept. 8, and Sept. 15, 2011, at the Huntsville Speedway. Link flier: http://www.usacycling.org/events/getflyer.php?permit=2011-2820. Link to race bible http://home.hiwaay.net/~wheelmen/clinicbible_2011.pdf