Perhaps 3-4 years old (1996)
Approximately 23 inches
Approximately 60 lbs.
White and some gray (although this changed in the third season and became more white and
reddish due to the casting of a new dog).
Brown (or blue and brown if they use the stuntdog.)
Diefenbaker, the purportedly deaf, donut-snatching partner of Fraser, is half-wolf
and half-something else (The Wild Bunch). Due to the high concentration of
white fur, one of Dief's parents could very likely have been an Arctic white wolf,
while the other one was a sled dog. As for the deafness, that is suspect. Perhaps
it is only selective on the wolf's part as there has been evidence in way too many
episodes that contradict this 'claim.'
Diefenbaker is quite loyal to Fraser, and will protect him, even to the death if
need be. His time in the city has softened him a little, as he can be bribed with
junk food (on two occasions, he has been knocked unconscious with drugged food).
Fraser has even forced him to go on a diet.
When Dief was recast with a new 'actor,' the animal's personality was altered
(and he seemed to, ahem, shrink a little since the new actor was smaller). Dief is
more recalcitrant this season; he doesn't listen to Fraser (not that he had before)
and has developed a bad habit of literally climbing over furniture, including pool
The only 'family' he has is Fraser. Otherwise, see Love Life below.
Dief sired three puppies (Buster, Sunshine, name unknown) with a neighborhood
Husky named Maggie, whom he rescued from dog-snatchers. (Wild Bunch) He
seemed very interested in a well-pampered white poodle at one point. (Odds)
Fraser (of course), Ray, and seemingly anyone who will give him junk food!! He even has
developed a strong liking for Stan Kowalski.
Dief was born in the wild (Yukon) and abandoned or lost as a pup. Fraser found him in an
abandoned mine shaft and took him in (Red, White, or Blue). Since that time, the
wolf has gone wherever Fraser has been posted.
- Burst eardrums in Prince Rupert Sound and went deaf (well, maybe!). (Pilot)
- Shot: by Gerard or his men (Pilot); in neck by Victoria. (Victoria's
Secret); by tranquilizer dart by Bolt. (Red, White or Blue)
- Psychological trauma from taffy pull. (Eye for an Eye)
- Drugged: by LaCroix. (The Edge); by Ruth Henry. (Spy vs. Spy)
- Fraser found Dief as lost pup in abandoned mine in the Yukon; rescued him and took
him in. (Red, White or Blue)
- Lip-reads. (Pilot)
- Loves junk food (donuts, candy bars (pick any episode).
- Has a 'wolf' license. (Diefenbaker's Day Off)
- Can jump over fences, push open doors, go down slides.
- Very relentless in pursuits. (Pizza & Promises)
- Appears to be 'transfixed' by blondes (Hawk and a Handsaw) as he grew up
in a village with few blondes.
- Fan of hockey pro Mark Smithbauer. (The Blue Line)
- Attacks to defend himself or Fraser (Pilot), or to protect mate.
- Once killed a wolverine. (Wild Bunch)
- Most definitely has a mind of his own.
- Dief was also once attacked by a 'wolverine with a goiter problem' (Dr.
Longball) and has a phobia about pink flamingos.
- Can lip-read Inuit. (Asylum)
For information on the two main dogs who portray this character, please see the
Lincoln and/or Draco pages.
For info on all the dogs who were involved with this character, please see our
Who is Diefenbaker? page.
For more information on the man the character was named after, please see the
John George Diefenbaker website.
Back to the Character Sketch Page
Copyright March 1997 by
Last updated: April 26, 1999.
This page may be reprinted for personal reading use only.
Any other uses of this page are strictly prohibited without the specific written
consent of the author.