Finding the Way Back to Mayberry
Episode # 119, "Andy Saves Gomer"
Introduction: Andy puts out a small fire at the filling station and Gomer believes he has saved his life. Therefore, Gomer tries to show his gratitude by doing various favors for the Taylor family. His heart is in the right place, but he tends to be a nuisance to them.
You Saved My Life! (Literally or Figuratively) John 15:13, Mark 10:45
Doing Favors and Other Acts of Kindness 1 Peter 4:10, 2 Timothy 2:15
(Expecting Nothing in Return) 2 Corinthians 5:18-21
Accepting Favors Romans 15:7
(With Nothing to Give in Return) John 13:20
I Have a Purpose, a Passion Deuteronomy 4:32-40, 1 Kings 6:1-8:66
I Am Grateful! 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
Acknowledgment of the Favor 1 John 4:7-10
Acceptance of the Favor Proverbs 21:3
Appreciation of the Favor Psalm 63:1-11
Accolades for the Favor 2 Thessalonians 1:4
Thank YOU for Returning the Favor! - 2 Thessalonians 3:6-13
You REALLY didnt have to - Ecclesiastes 1:12-14, Matthew 18:1-6
You ARE Dedicated Hebrews 12:1-3, Hebrews 2:18, Proverbs 15:21
I am GLAD you appreciate me Philippians 3:7-11 and 17
Are we even NOW? Ephesians 5:21
Or Do We CONTINUE to Help Each Other? John 13:1-17
1) Andy arrived just in time to put out a fire that "was more smoke than anything else." How did Gomer describe the incident? What did Gomer vow to do, and why?
2) What if the fire had been of a more serious nature, would that have changed things? Would Andy have expected special treatment then? Would he have deserved more? Knowing Barney as we do, how do you think he would have responded if he were the one who saved Gomers life, instead of Andy?
3) How many favors does it take to pay someone back for saving your life? How about smaller acts of kindness or mercy? What are some favors people have done for you? How did you respond? When can you finally feel you have paid your debt to your "lifesaver man"? How can God use you as His instrument to reconnect others with Him?
4) Andy and his family were surprised by Gomers "paybacks." Did they expect anything in return for Andys good deed? Why did they begin avoiding Gomer?
5) Andy decided to stage an accident in which Gomer could be the hero. How smoothly did that work? Did it make any difference to Gomer? Knowing Gomer, how long do you think he would actually keep this up? What about yourself and other people you know?
6) Gomer believed that Andy was accident-prone and decided to pay even more attention to him. Do you admire his perseverance or do you feel sorry for Andy? Has anyone refused a favor from you? If so, how did it make you feel?
Gomer: If I live to be a hundred, I intend to be by your side to help you out every day of my life. Good-bye, lifesaver man!