Andy hangs himself on his own pitchfork when he teaches
Opie lessons on the importance of a fine character – “never let your friend
down; never break your word, and when you make a promise never break it.”
devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil.
Psalm 119:162 (NIV)
Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared [i.e.
respected]. Psalm 119:38 (NIV)
Keeping Your Word
Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another. (Leviticus 19:11)
say "yes' and "no.' When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.
(Matthew 5:37, The Message)
- Do you believe it was easier to live by these standards
in Mayberry than it is today? Why?
- Respect must be earned –is it possible to have respect
for someone who does not keep his word?
- Where do you stand on they way that Andy explained to
Opie about “bending the rules?”
- Is it ever OK to break a promise?
- Tell us about your best friend. What are the
characteristics that you admire the most about them?