Finding the Way Back to Mayberry
Episode # 32, "Bringing Up Opie"
Introduction: Andy, Barney and Otis all enjoy when Opie comes to visit at the courthouse. Young Opie dearly loves the excitement of the jail . . . . wanted posters, practicing "quick-draw" gunslingin with Barn, and even carrying out the trash! Aunt Bee decides that the jail is not the proper environment for him and forbids Opie from visiting his Paw at work.
What is a Fine Father?
A Patient Man Proverbs 20:3
A Hard Worker Proverbs 20:4
A Good Listener Proverbs 20:5
A Faithful Friend Proverbs 20:6
A Righteous Soul Proverbs 20:7
A Childs Needs
Care (shelter, clothing, sustenance) Psalm 55:22
Security Psalm 56:3-4
Guidance Psalm 91:14-15, Matthew 28:20
Love 1 Corinthians 13:1-8
A Fathers Influence Proverbs 3:1-4, Proverbs 22:6
Teaching by Discipline Proverbs 29:17
Teaching by Father/Son Talks Deuteronomy 6:6-9
Teaching by Example Ephesians 6:1-4
Personal Conflicts 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 and 16-18, James 1:12,
Disciplined or Deserted? Isaiah 49:15-16
Lonely or Alone? Isaiah 41:10, Deuteronomy 31:6
Busy or Idle? Romans 12:11, 3 John 2-4, Proverbs 3:5-10
Confused or Depressed? Matthew 11:28-30, Psalm 31:7
Obedient or Rebellious? Isaiah 48:18, John 14:15 and 21
A Perfect World or a Troubled World? Psalm 34:19, Psalm 138:7,
Evil and Other Bad Influences 1 Peter 5:8-9, Romans 12:2
Protect Children or Isolate Them? 2 Peter 1:3-4
What is Best for a Child? 2 Peter 1:5-9, 1 Peter 5:7
What if I Make a Mistake? Proverbs 2:1-11, 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
1) What were the negative aspects of Opie visiting the courthouse every day? What about the positive points? Putting yourself in Opies shoes, what would be so intriguing about the jail?
2) Do most fathers ever think of including their children at the workplace, even if it is possible or not discouraged? Would you welcome your child or quickly think of excuses and obstacles to prevent it? What about spending quality time together at home? Is that a priority for you?
3) What was Aunt Bees intention? What was the response of Andy, Barney, and Otis? Did they finally see their possible "bad" influence? Did they see anything "good" about their influence?
4) Who missed whom more Opie or the gang at the courthouse? Even though Aunt Bees heart was in the right place, did she try to fill the void in Opies life? What more could she have done?
5) It has been said, "Idle hands are the devils workshop." Would you agree? What did it take for Aunt Bee to realize her plan might not be the best idea? What proved to be a better solution?
6) Who do you think benefited most from their relationship, Opie or Andy?
Opie: You tryin to get rid of me, Paw?
Andy: No, Im not tryin to get rid of you! I just want you to be a normal, happy little boy!
Opie: Im happy now, Paw.