Finding the Way Back to Mayberry
Episode #13, “Mayberry Goes Hollywood”
Introduction: The picturesque town of Mayberry creates an ideal setting for a new Hollywood movie. While the townspeople of Mayberry enthusiastically agree with the idea, a certain transformation occurs while the director (Mr. Harmon) returns to California to collect his film equipment. When the director returns, he encounters a town that is very different from the one he left...
1. Being True to yourself (Prov. 20:7)
Value people for what they are, not what they want to be
2. Listen to Others (Prov. 5:1-2)
Understand what people say, and mean
Understand the impact of your actions
3. Boastful, Self Serving
What's in it for me versus you
Serving Unselfishly (Luke 12:37-38)
4. Emphasis on Appearances (1Sam. 16:7)
Caught up with appearances (John 7:24)
1. Why did the town council originally want to keep the Hollywood movie out of Mayberry? Did they have a legitimate concern?
2. The mayor completely changed his opinion and lead the town with a welcoming party for Mr. Harmon. Why did the major want the town to change?
3. The whole town changed as they prepared for the producers visit. Why did everyone, except Andy, act differently for the producer's visit? Was Mayberry towns people trying to deceive Mr. Harmon?
4. In the end, everyone went back to their normal routine and lives in town. Have you ever put on a false appearance? If so, how did you feel afterwards?
"... this tree is part of the picture and so are all of you. But the way you were when I first met you, when I walked around with the sheriff, the way you were, natural, Genuine, real, that's what I wanted in my picture..." - Mr. Harmon