Finding the Way Back to Mayberry
Episode # 147, "Goober and the Art of Love"
Dating—Goober and Lydia (Genesis 2:18-24, Proverbs 31:10-31)
Love—Goober and Lydia (1 Corinthians 13:1-13)
1. Have you ever been a “5th Wheel” in a social situation? How did you feel? Have you ever been excluded from a social gathering because you did not have a partner? Do you usually include single people at social events? Why or why not?
2. Talk about some of your first dates, including blind dates, and why some turn out great and some are a disaster.
3. Lydia Crosswaithe also appeared in episode #68, “Barney Mends a Broken Heart.” From these two episodes, we learn that she hates the guitar and chitchat; does not go out in the sun (she gets the herpes), play cards (gambling), bowl (bad back), dance, or eat pretzels (they lay on her chest); and gets carsick. Read Proverbs 31:10-31 and compare Lydia’s traits with “the wife of noble character.” Comment on Barney calling Lydia an “albatross.”
4. Read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and compare Goober’s treatment of Lydia to this definition of love.
5. Barney and Goober should not have secretly spied on Andy and Helen, but would you go so far as to call them peeping Toms or voyeurs?
Andy: “Goober, tell her to quit hanging her head out the window like a dog.”