Finding the Way Back to Mayberry
Episode # 86, "Andy Discovers America"
Introduction: Opie is having some trouble with his history lessons at school, and Andy tries to make him feel better. Unfortunately, Opie misinterprets what his Paw says, and Andy gets in hot water with the teacher, Miss Crump.
The Importance of Teaching Ephesians 4:11-13, James 3:1
By What You Say (and What You Dont Say) James 3:2
By Your Actions (Both Good and Bad) 2 Timothy 2:23-3:9, Luke 17:1-2
By Seeking Gods Will 1 Timothy 5:17-21
By Continuing Gods Plan for Your Life Matthew 28:18-20
The Importance of Learning Romans 12:1-8
By Seeking Gods Will Psalm 143:10
From God John 6:45-46
From Teachers, Parents, and Peers Proverbs 10:17
On Our Own Proverbs 10:14, Proverbs 15:14
It Takes Dedication and Hard Work Hebrews 10:35-38
It Should Never Stop Psalm 25:5
Tips for Good Communication Proverbs 18:20-21
Choose the Right Words James 3:1-12
Be Humble/Speak From the Heart Ephesians 4:2, Matthew 12:33-37, Pr. 10:32
Listen Carefully and Understand Fully Isaiah 6:9-10
Watch for "Unspoken" Signals Proverbs 3:5-6, Mark 4:10-12
Dont Jump to the Wrong Conclusion 1 Samuel 1:9-17
Prevent/Reconcile Misunderstandings Col. 3:12-13, Isa. 55:6-13, Luke 17:3-10
1) Why do you think Opie didnt want to eat his breakfast that morning? When Miss Crump confronted him about doing his homework, he retaliated by bringing Andy into it. But hadnt Opie already made the decision about doing his homework before breakfast?
2) What exactly did Andy say to Opie when he learned about his school troubles? How did Opie interpret what his father said? Did Andy give Opie bad advice? What mistakes did Andy make that morning? How could he have made better progress with Opie?
3) Why was Miss Crump so angry with Andy and the boys? Why did she double the boys homework, but not for the girls? What did she say to Andy? Was she wrong? What should he have said to her? Did he hold a grudge against her?
4) At first, Opie didnt want to learn and that made Miss Crump not want to teach. Have you passed up good chances to learn something new because you were too lazy or had some other excuse? Have you failed to teach effectively because of your bad attitude?
5) What was Andys new approach to the problem? What was Miss Crumps way to handle it? Was her speech "thoughtful" or "angry"? What would be a better strategy?
6) What would have happened if Miss Crump had not gone to smooth things over with Andy? What do you think he said (in his defense) while walking her home?
Andy: I reckon you do have to be careful what you say around younguns.
Miss Crump: They will try to turn it to their advantage.