Barney gives Gomer a ticket for an illegal U-turn. Leaving the scene, Barney commits the same offense and Gomer makes a citizen’s arrest. A long argument ensues and Barney becomes so angry that he jails himself and quits as Deputy.
Obstacles to Good Relationships
A Quick Temper
“ A quick-tempered man does foolish things and a crafty man is hated.” (Prov. 14:17)
A Sharp Tongue
“He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.” ( Prov. 21:23)
A Deaf Ear
“Let the wise listen and add to their learning…” (Prov. 1:5)
A Thin Skin
“A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult. (Prov. 12:16)
A Hardened Heart
“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother ha something against you, leave your fit there in font of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.“ (Mat. 5;23-24)
A Closed Mind
“Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers…” (Prov. 16:20)
Tips for Conflict Management
1) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you – Luke 6:27-31
“But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. IF someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you
2) When you’re angry, count to 10 before you say anything – Proverbs 15:1
“A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
3) Don’t’ make mountains out of molehills – Proverbs 19:11
“A man’s wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.”
4) Two wrongs don’t make a right. – Psalm 34:14
“Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
1. Why did Barney become so angry when Gomer made the citizen’s arrest? Why did Gomer become offended at Barney’s reaction?
2. Have you ever been guilty of any of the obstacles to good relationships mentioned in our lesson today? What happened and how did you overcome the obstacle?
3. Did you ever allow your temper or your tongue to get you into predicaments that could have been avoided? How can you handle similar situations and conflicts more diplomatically?
4. Andy chose to deal with Barney’s temper tantrum by walking away and letting Barney come to his senses. Is there a verse or an example from the Bible that you think would help Andy deal with Barney better?