Finding the Way Back to Mayberry
Episode #52, “Barney and the Choir”
A vacancy occurs in the Mayberry town choir, and Barney happily volunteers to fill it. When the choir members realize that Barney “can’t sing a lick,” no one has the heart to tell him.
Pride, Self-Reliance, and Humility—Barney (1 Samuel 2:3, Proverbs 16:18-19, Proverbs 27:2, Romans 12:3)
Friendship—Andy and the Choir Members (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, Proverbs 18:24)
Lies and Deception—Barney, John Masters, Andy, Thelma Lou, Aunt Bee, and the other Choir Members (Leviticus 19:11, Psalm 120:2-4)
1. This episode is filled with lies and deception:
· Barney is not honest with himself or the choir about his singing ability.
· John Masters, Andy, Thelma Lou, Aunt Bee, and the other choir members are not honest with Barney about his lack of singing ability.
· The choir tries to deceive Barney by changing the “meeting place.”
· Andy and others try to deceive Barney about his “red, swollen throat.”
· Andy and the choir deceive Barney about the supersensitive microphone.
As Christians, how do we justify or rationalize this behavior?
2. If someone asks you how they look and you think they look awful, do you ever lie a little to avoid hurting their feelings? If you are like most people, you will answer “yes” or “sometimes” to this question. This dilemma of protecting personal relationships gives rise to the concept of the “white lie.”
3. Do you know people who, in order to be the center of attention, will exaggerate their abilities or accomplishments? How do you respond to them?
Barney: "That's a uvula. Everybody's got one. You've got a uvula. They've got a uvula. I've got a uvula. All God's children got a uvula."