Finding the Way Back to Mayberry
Episode # 106, "Citizens Arrest"
Introduction: Barney gives Gomer a ticket for an illegal U-turn. Leaving the scene, Barney commits the same offense and Gomer makes a citizens arrest. A big argument ensues, and Barney becomes so angry that he jails himself and quits Andys force.
Three Questions to Ask About Our Own Statements BEFORE We Say Them:
Is it true? Proverbs 8:7
Is it kind? Proverbs 12:25
Is it necessary? Proverbs 1:3
Six Obstacles to Good Relationships:
A Quick Temper Ephesians 4:1-3, Ephesians 4:26-27, Proverbs 14:8
A Sharp Tongue Proverbs 21:23, 10:19, & 12:23, Ephesians 4:15
A Deaf Ear - James 1:19, Proverbs 1:5, Proverbs 14:15
A Thin Skin Proverbs 12:16, Proverbs 15:5
A Hardened Heart Proverbs 2:2, Matthew 5:23-24
A Closed Mind - Matthew 18:15-17, Proverbs 18:15
Twelve Tips on Conflict Management:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Luke 6:31, Luke 17:3-10
When youre angry, count to "10" before you say anything. Pr. 15:1, Gen.13:5-9, 14-17
Two wrongs dont make a right. Genesis 21:25-31
Dont make mountains out of molehills. Proverbs 19:11
Forgive and forget. Isaiah 2:1-11, Ezekiel 37:15-28
Learn to write your hurts in sand and carve your blessings in stone. Matthew 13:53-58
All for one and one for all. 1 Samuel 30:21-25, Philippians 4:2-3
Always hold your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level. Daniel 1:8-21
Looking at circumstances brings despair; looking to God brings hope. Numbers 16:1-50
Reminding ourselves of Gods help in the past will give us hope for the struggles that lie ahead.
Acts 21:27-32, Ezra 4:1-5
We should pray as if all depends on God and act as if it all depends on us. - Nehemiah 6:1-9
Kindness is a language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. Genesis 31:1-32:32
1) Emotional, high-strung Barney became teary-eyed when Andy thanked him for being such a good deputy and friend. Wouldnt you think someone who was so sensitive, might be a little more aware of others feelings? People do make mistakes, you know. Would Barney agree?
2) Did Barney take his job seriously? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Did Gomer see the seriousness in either crime Barney said he had committed? Was Gomer right or wrong?
3) Why did Barney become so angry when Gomer made the citizens arrest? Why did Gomer become offended at Barneys reaction? Which was more embarrassing to the town, and why?
4) Andy intervened, ordered Barney to write himself a ticket, and told him they would settle it in private. Why didnt Barney do that? With whom was Barney angry in this episode?
5) How did Andy react when Barney jailed himself? When Otis teased Barney for being in jail, how did Barney respond? How did Barney react to Gomers false alarm?
6) Do you ever allow your temper or your tongue to get you into predicaments that could have been avoided? How can you handle similar situations and conflicts more diplomatically?
Barney: When word gets out that your deputy, and ex-best friend, has been jailed for a minor offense, youll be the fool!