Re: Trout

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Price on September 11, 2003 at 20:42:05:

In Reply to: Re: Trout posted by Matthew E. Gaston on September 11, 2003 at 19:59:04:

There is relatively good fishing for trout and many other fish types below the dam. One of the best area to me is just above the Birmingham Pump station. That is where I catch the majority of the trout. I have caught them as far as a mile below the Parker Bridges but not often. You need to call 1800lakes11 option five then1 then 2 to get tentaive generation schedules. The water is failry cold year around and usually very clear. I try to go with at least a 10 ft leader/tippet because of the clearness of the water. I use 2x or 7lb. I have caught decent stripes below the dam as well as catfish and eating size bluegill farther down river. There isnt any boat access unless you go all the way to Sipsey and come back up and then you are restricted to very small craft as the water is very shallow in places. When they are releasing water I wouldnt venture up the river in a boat either. The river isnt very wide and it will rise several feet very rapidly upon discharge. Usually this time of year most of the generation schedules are in the afternoon. here the last few days it has started at 2pm leaving several hours of good fishing. I fly fish for the trout but some folks use regular rods and reels and use everything from rooster tails to salmon eggs and the usually productive kernel corn lol. I will send you a aerial photo with a few notes on it later tonight in your email maybe it will help you out. Or you can contact John at the Riverside Fly Shop there at the bridges below the dam his website is 1flynet.com I think. Or give me a holler and I will be glad to point you in the right direction i usually fish there at least three days a week.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]