Re: Catfishing in decatur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ALex on August 21, 2003 at 07:39:30:

In Reply to: Re: Catfishing in decatur posted by Patrick Wooten on August 20, 2003 at 12:14:40:

Patrick, the area you are fishing is a very unique area. Back in the early 80's, my best friend and I found a underwater discharge pipe that is about 8 feet in diameter. We found this area over by the barge's that load and off-load feed grain. Anyway, if you have a good graph on your boat and take some time, you will find it. I do not know if they still discharge old feed still after all these years, but I suspect they do. If you did not know about this pipe, you are probably fishing real close to it! What is so unique about this area is, there is usually HUGE catfish and very few small one's. When fishing there, if you ever hang a #6 Penn offshore reel with dacron line on it, it is mine! I lost two there over a week time span. In 1986, my friend and myself cought three cats that were over 40 lbs each. He had a old chevy pickup that we literally loaded down the back of the bed with catfish that particulr night. I dont know how much you catfish, but this area is real good in the winter time. The water along with the discharged grain is warm and the big catfish love being around this area in the winter time. Back then we normally cought all blue's and mixed in with some smaller channel's. Good luck with the catfishing and remember about the PENN reel!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]