Re: Alligator Gar in the Tennessee River

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Clemons on August 19, 2003 at 18:27:05:

In Reply to: Re: Alligator Gar in the Tennessee River posted by Kerry Grissett on August 19, 2003 at 09:39:04:

I'd love to see the gar you're shooting ... call me and I'll go with you.

I spoke today with Keith Floyd, state biologist with the Alabama DCNR in Decatur. We discussed the historical and currently known range of the alligator gar, neither of which includes the Tennessee River in North Alabama.

The lone occurance of more than one alligator gar sighting on the river is at Kentucky Dam on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line, according to Floyd.

However, he did not 100 percent rule out the possibility of an alligator gar swimming in Guntersville, Wheeler or another impoundment on the river. It's possible, but in his words, "very, very rare" since their common range today is along the coast, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, up the Mississippi River to about Missouri and Ohio and probably some tributaries in those bordering states.

Before the dams impounded the rivers in Alabama, alligator gar probably inhabited most of the tributaries of the Mobile Basin - the Tallapoosa, Alabama, Tombigbee, etc. It's also possible they were in the Tennessee, but reports do not indicate it.

Never say never, though, when dealing with nature and science.

Y'all take care.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]