Re: Fishing/camping in N. AL or S. TN

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on August 12, 2003 at 15:32:04:

In Reply to: Re: Fishing/camping in N. AL or S. TN posted by Mark Strickland on August 12, 2003 at 10:21:58:

Several years ago I camped on the Elk River at the Garner Ford Access. There was no water, electricity, or toilet facilities, therefore no fee to camp. Over the past twenty years I have encountered several other campers and scout groups tent camping there. It is approximately 2.5 river miles downstream from the Tims Ford Dam.
Here are directions if you are coming from Winchester or Broadview headed toward Lynchburg on Hwy 50: From the Hwy 50 bridge at the dam you travel about 1-1.5 miles then take a left at the top of the first big hill onto an unmarked dirt road. It is difficult to see this road as it is on the crest of the hill, on a right hand curve, and right beside a driveway. If you enter Moore County you have gone about 1/4 mile too far. Garner Ford access is at the end of the dirt road. There used to be posted private property straight ahead near the end of the road, but we turned left and camped in a grassy area on the right just before dropping down into the stream bed. Look for campfire pits, etc.
Do not park/camp in the stream bed because the water rises several feet when they generate at the dam. You should drive up and check it out before heading up that way with a caravan of campers. I've seen the narrow dirt road almost impassible at times after getting deep ruts washed out by heavy rains. You will probably see a game warden, so be sure to have licenses and trout permits. It is heavily stocked with trout during this time of year. Canoes or other small boats would be helpful if you have several people attending to keep everyone from fishing in the same area.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]