Re: Recipe Book!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on August 11, 2003 at 13:29:20:

In Reply to: Recipe Book! posted by Alex on August 11, 2003 at 11:02:05:

Many "sportsman" recipes include about 15 types of pepper, with a splash of tabasco, none of which my wife will eat. I have finally learned that I can make it spicy AFTER it is cooked and ONLY for those that choose.

If your effort includes tips such as yellow vs. white cornmeal, plain vs. self rising flour/cornmeal, temperature and type of oil, egg coated vs. buttermilk coated, or other tidbits borrowing from your years of wisdom, I would ask you to spend the time on my behalf.

I have always been a dust-it and deepfry-it man, but my wife is a butter-it and panfry-it woman. Hold the lemon for me, and pour it on for her. I do like an occasional grilled fish with large coarse fish such as stripers and red snapper and often pour on italian dressing for flavor. People are REALLY different when it comes to seasonings. For me, the variety comes in with good tartar, malt vinegar, slaw, hushpuppies, onions, pickles, or whatever tickles the fancy.

If anyone can make hushpuppies in the ballpark of Captain D's or Greenbriar BBQ between Huntsville/ Decatur, please feel free to share. Then the fancy hushpuppies with corn, onion, jalapenos, cheese, or whatever would be a sure thing.

For those that like KFC coleslaw, check out the Top Secret recipes version at the link below. I have often wanted to know how to make a good BBQ sandwich type slaw with sugar and vinegar (no mayo), but have never had much luck. As the result of having buttermilk leftover from the KFC recipe, I once stumbled onto another trick. I was cutting up chicken strips to fry and placed them in a bowl of buttermilk to wet them before I floured them. I got distracted and later decided I was too tired to cook. I then floured and fried the next day and they were unbelievably tender and juicy. I have always wondered if fish would work out the same.

I appreciate your efforts Alex!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]