Re: Float tubes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 08, 2003 at 01:22:04:

In Reply to: Float tubes posted by Jerry on August 07, 2003 at 18:42:52:

I agree with WTL. Most of the snakes you will see are harmless water snakes. My experience is that less than 1/2 of 1 percent of the snakes I encounter are poisonous, and I have never had any problems with the few cotton mouths I have encountered while wading. Like WTL says, simply leave them alone and don't panic when you come across a snake or snakes. In most cases the snake doesn't want to have anything to do with you either! (grin) Most of the injuries I have personally seen involving snakes have been caused by a person's needless panic over the simple sighting of ANY snake. That is to say that the snake doesn't hurt them, they hurt themselves because of their panic.

As for using a float tube, I highly recommend using one if you are unfamiliar with the waters you will be wading. From past experience I can tell you it is no fun to step off into a hole or sink into mud that does past your knees without a float tube. It is very hard to get out of waders that have filled up with water! LOL I don't wade now as much as I used to... getting old and wading can be tiring... but I used to wade Wheeler lake often. If you decide to wade without a tube, the only advice I can give is to make sure to always "slide" you feet along the bottom in small incriments. Never take long steps even in familiar water. This allows you to "feel" your way along and help to prevent stepping off into a hole or tripping over submerged objects.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on locations to wade on Guntersville lake because I am always in a boat when I fish there. But as WTL said, stay out of main channels due to boat traffic. Look for shallow flats to try. There are a bunch of them on the big G.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]