Re: Smallmouth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 5bytes on August 04, 2003 at 23:22:19:

In Reply to: Small Mouth posted by Bass Tracker on August 04, 2003 at 10:01:51:

Here's my two cents from years of fishing North Alabama. The best concentrations of smallmouths that I have found are: (and these are in order of what I consider to be best on down). 1:Pickwick Lake (from one end to the other). 2.Wilson Lake ( Wheeler Dam tailrace and rocky points throughout the lake, deep water access boat docks, bluffs, and deep flats. 3. Wheeler: lower end (from Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant to Wheeler Dam). Points of major creeks and cuts off the main lake, the mouth of the Elk River, throughout first and second creek. Rocky points with wood can be awsome in this area. 4. Paint Rock River: a gem of a small river for a small fishing boat owner. I like the last 4 or 5 miles before it dumps into the upper end of Wheeler Lake. 5. Tim's Ford Lake: Although not in North Alabama it is only a short drive to Winchester, Tennessee. Probably the best kept smallmouth secret there is. The water there is very clear and deep for the most part. And like Pickwick it is chocked full of rock. I like to go there when the weather is nasty. Windy conditions, flooding rains a day or two before, or for some awsome smallmouth action give it shot at night. Rocky points are gonna get you bit on that lake and at times red clay banks are gonna be good. Great topwater lake under low-light conditions. So there you have it. My top five smallmouth destinations in the North Alabama area. Some may agree and some may disagree, but like I said, this is just my two cents from my experiences. Now how I go about catching them. My #1 top smallmouth producer is a Zoom 3" Fat Albert grub rigged on a 1/4 oz. round jighead. My top color choices are: smoke, cotton candy, watermelon, chartreuse, and white. My #2 producer is a Zoom 3" critter craw or Madman craw-worm in the same size. Color choices: green pumpkin, watermelon-red, and pumpkin seed. I rig these on 1/8 and 1/4 oz. Slider heads. I throw these two rigs on a spinning combo and 8 or 6 lb. P-line and a 6'6" med. or med. hvy. rod. My #3 smallmouth rig is a med. to deep diving crankbait. I throw two colors mostly: firetiger and crawfish patterns. I chunk it with a 5.1:1 baitcaster and 12 lb. line. My #4 rig is a Carolina rigged lizard with a 1/2 or 3/4 oz. weight and a 2 to 3 foot leader (occasionally longer) and a 4 or 6" lizard most of the time. The colors noted for the craw-worm are what I use here also. I use a 6.3:1 baitcaster and 17lb. for the main line. and 12 to 14lb. flourocarbon for the leader. My #5 rig is a spinnerbait. I use 1/4 to 1/2 oz. sizes with #1 to #4 blades of different styles. Other rigs worth mentioning are suspending jerkbaits during the cold water season. Amazing results can be had in the 40 to 55 degree water temp. range. The colder the water the longer the pause. I use the Smithwick brand of jerkbaits, mainly the rattlin' pro model. Lucky craft pointers and stay-see lines of jerkbaits work for alot of people. However, the $5 rogue works for this ole boy. Tubes are good choices anytime, thrown on the same spinning gear. And if you're die hard like me the floating fly system will put a few in the boat when only the biggest of idiots would even consider launching a boat into the icy waters. There you go, now go get after them bronzebacks and good luck. Ain't the computer-age grand! 5

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]