Re: rod and reel for crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on July 29, 2003 at 22:23:28:

In Reply to: rod and reel for crappie posted by DAN on July 20, 2003 at 00:24:44:

A lot of which rod and reel you use is simply personal preference and that comes with personal hands on experience.

I use 6.5 foot medium heavy action graphite rods with titanium guides, if possible. That is because I am bad about slapping my rods on bridge pilings or on my boat and the ceramic guides often crack and end up cutting my line. I do NOT recommend ANY stainless steel or chrome guides as they will "groove" very quickly. I never pay more than $30 for a rod since I am more likely to break one by accident than wear one out. I have found the 6.5 foot length to be a good overall length for me and I use the same outfits for nearly all my freshwater fishing.

I am a little different than most avid "serious" fishermen in that I still like the ease of use of a closed face spinning reel. I have used open faced reels and still do for saltwater fishing, but for the types of fishing I do the most (crappie and bream) I like closed face reels because I spend more time with my lure in the water and not "fixing" problems. The down side is that there is not a closed face spinning reel that will last anywhere near as long as a good open face or baitcasting reel.

The best closed face spinning reel I have found so far is the Daiwa Goldcast III. I prefer the GC120 (largest of the 3 Goldcast models) because it seems to hold up a little longer and casts/retrieves better due to the larger spool. Price for one can range from about $45 to $60. Sounds high for a closed face, but one of these will last me nearly a year and the best any other closed face reel lasted me was 6 months or less and it cost $30. Keep in mind that I fish nearly every day, at least during the cooler months. Friends have told me that I put 10 years of usage on a reel in 1 year compared to most "weekend" fishermen.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: