Re: sauger at guntersville dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on July 29, 2003 at 15:06:25:

In Reply to: sauger at guntersville dam posted by bobby on July 29, 2003 at 14:04:36:

We usually start bank fishing for them below the dam in late October,using the fabled jig and minnow.As the water gets cooler the better the bite with them at times peaking in late November and December ,but they usualy run good till late Feburary,but that is all dependant on water flow and temperature .With water flow i mean flood gates open !!! People will stack up in boats between the old and new locks when this happens in the winter,with usually good results.Also down the river, bottom jigging or bumping is the ticket too all winter usually done in about 40 ft of water give or take a few feet.This entails using a heavy headed jig and jigging it up and down off the bottom tipped of course with a minnow.You will see where the action is usually because of the number of boats,starting on the opposite side of painted bluff as we call it ,there are a few dredge sites down the river too that you can work the jigs also.This is a very general explanation of sauger as most of my fishing is done from the bank for them , working a quarter oz jig or a bit heavier, if the current is flowing fast,over the rocks.Casting out and letting it bounce down river till it gets below me and then slowly retrieveing it.Break off some but hang a lot of good Sauger too .We usually use a mini jig skirt instead of a curly tali grub like a lot of people use,but the minnow is the important ticket!! Best colors seem to be orange and charturse,smoke,green,pearl,and pumpkinseed.Anything that looks like a Crawly bottom in color !! So unless you can coax some of these hot summer time sauger fishermen into talking where and when ,I think you can start late September catching straglers and it will or should just get better as the water temperature gets lower and the flow gets better .One more note ,last year was a very down year for Sauger as far as we bank men were concerned ,just like the fall Crappie ,they were all very short ,with most throw backs ,unless you were desperate for a cigar dinner.Anyway hope this helps and if i confused you ask me any questions !! and hot grease frying fish to ya!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]