Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 7-23-2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on July 23, 2003 at 09:51:20:

DATE: 07-23-03
LAKE LEVEL: 563.3
FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 88
WATER CLARITY: Upriver she is rough. A lot of mud coming in from Georgia. Most all the coves are bad dingy. Downriver it is not
too bad. A lot of fishable water. The channel doesn't look too good though.

CRAPPIE: For this time of year crappie fishing is not all that bad. You would be better off with live bait than with jigs. You cannot fish
the river channel edge. Too much water flow and too much mud. You are going to have to fish the coves. It wouldn't be my
preference but you have to do what you have to do. Deep docks are holding fish. Catch to keep ratio is about 20 to 1. Night fishermen
are doing better. The drop in Little River and most any cove with a bridge. Cowan Creek and Spring Creek and a little bit in 3 Mile.
Harry had a 1/2 day guide trip and they kept 22 and they probably caught 122.

BASS: The bass are slowing down some. But that is to be expected as hot as it is. Butch & Harry have been flipping docks with a
Pig-N-Jig. They fished this morning and caught 11. 3 of them were pretty good spots 3lbs+.
Last Wednesday the 16th the afternoon tournament out of the Hawgs Den had a petty good tournament. 37 boats with a 5 fish limit:
1st: Miller & Miller 12.37lbs.
2nd: Rag & Holcomb 12.09 lbs
3rd: Wright & Brown 11.56lbs
4th: Pitts & Ingle
Big fish: 3.94lb. spot.
This was a 4 hour tournament that is held at the Hawgs Den every Wednesday afternoon.

STRIPE: A few coming out of the cave hole. A few coming out of North Spring Creek. The bite is from about daybreak until 8am and
then again from an hour before dark. Some coming in from the back end of Yellow Creek around the rocks. Live bait is the best but
they will hit a Hyper-Striper or a Little Fishy.

WHITE BASS: A few in the mouth in Spring and Cowan Creeks. That is about all I have heard about.

BREAM: We have checked it out and they are starting to move in. Just a little bit too much muddy water and water flow.

CATFISH: All you want about any way you want to fish for them.

If you go into North Spring Creek looking for stripe, go in at idle speed. You are going to bump a stump. How hard you bump it is up
to you. We can still have a 1/2 off prop sale. We have plenty of time.
I have said it before and I will say it again. We are going to have the best fall we have ever had. Crappie and bass. I am going to try
to catch up with Dan Catchings and see if he has the numbers on this springs spawn 03. From all estimates it should be a good one.
Don't forget that if you see a poacher please call Game Watch at 1-800-272-4263. If we protect the spawns that we have had for the
past 3 years we will be in good shape for a long time if people will abide with the law of a 10 inch size limit.
Hope everyone is having a great summer! As always if we can be of any help just "holler". Thanks, Steve, Cheryl, Butch & Harry
256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]