Re: Deep Catfish Holes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on July 08, 2003 at 12:50:25:

In Reply to: Re: Deep Catfish Holes posted by Big Kat on July 07, 2003 at 15:28:04:

Nope, painted bluff is around 50 feet from what I have seen. I had a guy once tell me about a "jack hole" almost 80 feet deep on Wheeler and I thought maybe his depth finder was out of kilter, but this guy has fished these parts his whole life and described the location so well that I had no idea what he was talking about. However, I ran across a similar depth while joy riding with the family a few weeks ago. I turned around to check it again. I even dropped the trolling motor to get a reading from the other depth finder. There are definitely some 70 foot holes on Wheeler! Now, the question remains, what is the deepest water that a catfish will hang out? I am only curious. It would be hard to anchor, hard to fish, and require lots of lead and corresponding heavy line. It is starting to sound like a bad idea already.

The place was definitely downriver from Ditto and upriver from Decatur. I believe I could find it again by i.d. from south shore structures, but the spot was on the north side of the river. Also, it was just around a bend in the river. I am pretty sure it was downriver a few miles from the civilian launch area on Redstone Arsenal. I am gonna have to get myself a GPS this year!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]