Tournment Kill Rates

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by just fishing on June 27, 2003 at 02:03:53:

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency and Tennessee B.A.S.S. Federation joined to study delayed mortality in bass from touraments. They have a very informative pamplet free for the asking and anyone who cares about catch and release needs to call TWRA and request #328711"Keeping Your Tournament-Caught Bass Alive'
Just a few highlights from the pamplet
Delayed Mortality from summer tournments ranged from 44% to 93%.
Approximately 50% of fish released sank after dying so no one ever saw them. This was fish that appeared healty at release.
And the one that breaks my heart - Smallmouth had signficantly higher mortality rates than Largemouth!
Their reconmendations
NO TOURNAMENTS FOR TIMES WHEN WATER TEMP IS ABOVE 75 DEGREES, INCLUDING NIGHT TOURNAMENTS.
NO SMALLMOUTH EVER WEIGHTED IN!
USE OXYGEN TANKS AND ICE IN LIVEWELLS AND HOLDING TANKS.
DON'T KEEP FISH OUT OF THE WATER LONGER THAN YOU CAN HOLD YOUR BREATH.
USE A RELEASE BOAT TO MOVE FISH OUT OF WEIGH IN AREA.
( THE REASON YOU SEE SO MANY PEOPLE FISHING FROM THE DOCK AT GOOSE POND FOR EXAMPLE.
These are just afew of the many suggestions in the pamplet.
Please call for one and spread the word. If you really thank Wal-Mart gives a damn for the bass go and ask Mon and Pop stores in your town. Same for ESPN.
Now allow me just a small personal rant!
It is unbelievable to me that any lowlife could be proud of snagging big female off their beds! You can call it "SIGHT FISHING" if you want but its still a lowlife method akin to shooting a doe as she gives birth and is - in my opinion- the worst thing that to happen to the future of the body of water where it happens. These big fish genes will not hatch that year!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]