Even more... Re: bASS Tournaments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 27, 2003 at 01:02:35:

In Reply to: Re: bASS Tournaments posted by BlueWater on June 26, 2003 at 10:20:06:

Well, I think I may have been naive once again...

In the previous posts it was said and I acknowledged that I did not know that the laws of the state of Alabama did not provide for the immediate confiscation of illegally obtained fish. Well, it appears that I was wrong and if I read the law correctly, it appears that officer Champion was at least not faithfully enforcing the actual law of Alabama.

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/9-11-85.htm

The law reads as follows:

Section 9-11-85

Game fish to be transported openly; confiscation, etc., of game fish taken or transported illegally.

All game fish taken in this state must at all times be carried or transported openly, and failure to do so shall constitute a
misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $10.00 nor more than $25.00. All game fish carried or transported in an illegal
manner or taken or killed illegally shall be confiscated and disposed of under regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of
Conservation and Natural Resources.

(Acts 1935, No. 383, p. 813, 24; Code 1940, T. 8, §64.)

Although the fines, in my opinion, are outdated and puny, the law clearly states that the fish should have been confiscated.

Heavy sigh... I put my hat back on...

Excuse me, but damn! Now I am really depressed. It seems that not only do we not have enough officers in the field, but at least one of them seems not to know the laws of Alabama they have sworn to enforce, or is something else afoot? Say it ain't so...

Good luck...

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]