Re: FLW weigh-in?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 24, 2003 at 22:38:05:

In Reply to: Re: FLW weigh-in? posted by Mike K on June 24, 2003 at 13:48:25:

Mike, I don't know where you are getting your figures. Please point me to the url or source of your "facts".

There is no study I can find that even comes close to claiming a 1% or less mortality rate on any given tournament. Eventual mortality rates are much higher! Although the mortality rate "at weigh-in" is certainly lower than the eventual mortality rate over 1 to 3 days (I mean, the tournament angler loses points for dead fish, right?), what difference does it make if the fish dies at weigh-in or 3 days later? The fish is still dead as a result of the tournament and that is a total waste of a good fish. The eventual mortality rate after release and after 24, 48 and 72 hours is much, much higher even with the advanced technology. Excessive handling, temperature and oxygen fluctuations are most likely prime factors here, even with the advanced technology.

WalMart should be ashamed to make participants cart the bass all the way to Florence for a weigh-in. Not good for the fish no matter what anyone says. If individual tournaments are claiming that 1% or less mortality rate, they are either being much less than honest or haven't done a thorough study of their own fish mortality over a longer period after the fish are released back into the lake.

Also, it has been reported that some of the fish were released into Shoals creek on Wilson lake. Am I wrong in thinking that the tournament was held on Wheeler and no locking to Wilson was allowed? If this is correct, is that an ethical thing for a tournament to do? I don't think so.

Although local tournaments may not have all the latest and greatest technology to keep their bass alive, there is a much higher chance that those fish will be kept and eaten, not thrown back into the lake to rot, a total waste. Mind you, I am not defending any tournament or individual who acts unethically in how they handle or use the fish they catch. I would much rather let 'em go alive than see them wasted in ANY case.

You are correct that bass anglers and tournament fishermen have done quite a bit to find ways of keeping fish alive up until the weigh-in. I simply haven't seen as much effort spent on finding out how many of those fish actually survive long term after the amount of handling they get in a tournament run like the recent FLW on Wheeler. There is always room for improvement in fishing ethics and courtesy on the water. The amount of money involved should not be a factor when you talk about either of these concepts.

Your analogy of NASCAR was funny, but only because it made no sense at all in relation to what was being discussed here.

Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]