Re: another gator on wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BassnRoun on June 23, 2003 at 15:13:50:

In Reply to: Re: another gator on wheeler posted by Alan Clemons on June 20, 2003 at 11:25:38:

Interesting thread. A comment unrelated to Alabama. While fishing Okeechobee in the late 80's, a guide suggested to my Father, brother and me, that we would improve our luck by wading along the outside edge of the grass, due to drought conditions. We inquired about the prevalence of gators, as they were floating everywhere you looked. He convinced us that they were more afraid of us than we were of them. I had grown up wading farm ponds and streams in central KY so gators were not much a problem. As we proceeded to probe the open pockets in the grass with red shad twister tail worms, one could see the larger gators far back in the reeds and grasses, occasionally charging after a fish for lunch and their constant grunting reminded us of their presence. Not being used to them, I kept a close eye on the ones that would come up to sun or inspect us as I was trailing a long rope stringer with our fish behind me as I walked along. Few got any closer than 50', but when you would make a cast or play a fish, taking another glance they would have disappeared from view. I would wade to the boat every hour and place the fish in the livewell as I know how turtles will follow the scent of fish on a stringer and I know gators would not pass up an easy meal. Ok, I will close...sorry for the length. The funny part of this trip was that the guide's partner came along after we had been fishing for a couple of hours and asked us, "what in the hell are you doing in the lake? Don't you know that there are gators in here that are 12'long?" He followed that with, "My uncle Fred used to be a guide and waded a lot...he now goes by LEFTY"!...We got a good laugh but my monitoring of the gators picked up.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]