Re: trolling batteries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 15, 2003 at 00:16:38:

In Reply to: trolling batteries posted by hooksetter on June 14, 2003 at 17:49:33:

With any batteries, you take your chances. Even with ones that are rated highly and have good "word of mouth".

I haven't tried them all, but I have had good luck with the EverStart MAXX series from Walmart. As Margaret said, AC Delco are more expensive and may last longer, but the MAXX I have last all day and then some too. When I am actively taking my boat out in the fall, winter and spring, I stay on the trolling motor for long extended periods and have never had these batteries fail. Just ask Alex about how hard I push my trolling motor and batteries! (grin)

For reference, I use an older model (1988) MotorGuide Dura Amp (24 volt) 45 lbs thrust. I have 2 of the largest batteries they make in the MAXX line of deep cycle batteries and charge them using a Battery Tender (1.25 amp) when I can and with 6 amp and 10 amp chargers (Schumacher) when I am going out again the next day. When I am charging with the Battery Tender, I connect both batteies in parellel so the charge is actually half of the 1.25 amps per battery. Seems to extend the life quite a bit.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]