Re: Any yellow tails at wheeler dam?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BlueWater on June 10, 2003 at 18:03:59:

In Reply to: Re: Any yellow tails at wheeler dam? posted by Alex on June 10, 2003 at 14:07:03:

Alex... great reply! I agree with your observations. It is disappointing that the conditions pounded the shad hatch the way it has for the last couple years... the fishing below Wheeler has suffered from it for sure. I kept records of the SW Stripe that I've caught for the past 5 yrs below Wheeler and it went from a high of 384 in 2000, to 172 in 2001, to 28 in 2002 and so far this year, 2003 - I have boated only 2! BTW - ALL of the fish were released alive and in good shape with the exception of ~24 or so that were hooked so badly that I felt they would die and they were kept. So even though I've caught a bunch of the SW stripe - I prefer to release them as they are WAY too much fun to catch than keep!!!

Also, I noticed a trend in the weight of the fish over the years that seemed to indicate the same "school" of fish were coming back to the dam each spring/early summer - with the weight average topping our in 2001 at about a 17# average. I had "high" hope for this year - but they have obviously "washed" away with the floods and hard freezes of the last couple years.

I wish I could find were those buggers hang out when they are not stacked at the dam! Any ideas?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]