Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 6-9-2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on June 10, 2003 at 04:48:39:

DATE: 06-09-2003
LAKE LEVEL: 563.2
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 74 in am - 80 evening
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: Believe it or not they are still catching a few. Lot of short fish. They are catching them on live bait and artificial
bait. Bubble Gum jigs seem to be the best color. About any structure you see is going to hold fish. I talked to Harry this
afternoon, he guided yesterday and he said he was fishing about 8-10 feet deep on brush piles. They didn't keep a whole
lot but they had a nice mess of fish. He said they caught well over 100.

BASS: The bass are off the bed and mean. A lot of good fish coming very shallow. Spinner bait and Buzz bait early around
grass beds and grassy points. Carolina rigged lizard. The grass beds are best if they are adjacent to deep water or ditches.
For some reason white seems to be the color on spinner baits.The spots have moved out to the humps and drops and old
river channel edge. The humps and drops are not that hard to find with a good map.

STRIPE: There is a few being taken but they are kinda sorta hard to come by. They are catching some decent fish at night
under the Cowan Creek bridge, right there at Roosters. The old cotton gin is holding a few and they are catching some in
the tail water (if you are a brave soul). Any of the deeper water, they have been suspending 6-10 feet deep in 20-25 feet of
water. Without good electronics you might be flapping.

WHITE BASS: They are taking a few at the dam when they are generating right up against the wall.

CATFISH: About all you want any way you want to fish for them. Cut shad is the best bait but about anything will work. Trot
line, jug or rod & reel.

BREAM: It won't be long and they will be back in deeper water and easy to find. (Guntersville)

I had a long conversation with Dan Catchings, the state biologist. We have some concerns here about a possible disease
that the bass are carrying. Mr. Catchings knew instantly what it was. A red spot disease. This is caused by a parasite. Quoting
Mr. Catchings, "It is a natural occurrence after the spawn. " The good news is, most of the fish will survive. The parasite is
harmless to humans. So if you catch one with it do not automatically believe it is going to die.
Stripe
I do not have to tell you stripe fishermen that stripe fishing on Weiss has been tough. Mr. Catchings was aware that we have
reduced numbers but was not aware of the severaty of it. He is going to get with the State Of Georgia tomorrow and see
what is going on in their natural spawning grounds. The stripe population has been in decline for about 5 or 6 years. The
state of Georgia is doing quite a bit of shocking and a major study on stripe movement. This is a great resource and they do
not eat crappie. But 30 per person per day is ridiculous! It is allright if you want some to take to the table but this terrible
waste is ridiculous! Mr. Catchings believes that it may be time to take another look at the creel limit. I whole-heartedly
agree. If you can over-fish the Atlantic ocean you can certainly over-fish Weiss.
Crappie
Mr. Catchings had a great deal to say about the crappie population. He told me that we had a great spawn here in 2001.
And we had a decent spawn in 2002. The 2003 numbers are not here yet but he feels good about them. He also predicts
that we are going to have one of the better fall season than we have had in years. News like that I can handle. We need to
take a look at the creel limit on crappie too.
If you see somebody breaking our laws while you are on the water, you need to call and report it. The number is
1-800-272-4263. I have tried this number and it works. I called back in the latter part of April and Gary showed up with in 30
minutes. Thank You Gary!
Hope everyone has a great summer! Good Fishing! Steve, Cheryl, Butch & Harry 256-927-6617
www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]