Decatur willowflies (mayflies)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 08, 2003 at 18:57:20:

Late yesterday (saturday) evening Stephen (my son) and I fished at the pumps north of Decatur for a short time from about 6:30pm to about 7:30. Nothing much was hitting, so we went home.

While heading back to Decatur on the Hwy31 causeway, we didn't see any willowflies, but after we got home Alex called us to say that there was a major willowfly hatch somewhere near the pumps and the air about 20 feet up was thick with them!

The hatch was not on the causeway, apparently, as I didn't find any evidence of any flies this morning. However, I am sure there was a major hatch somewhere nearby from Alex's report. Possibly the train causeway or from the "Y".

In any case, with warmer temps in the forecast, the fly hatches should start to get larger and more frequent soon. Dust off those flyrods and popping bugs! (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

Alex caught a nice smallmouth this morning at the pumps that went approx. 2 - 2.5 pounds. A smallmouth that size is pretty unusual at that location, but not unheard of. Actually any sized smallmouth is rare at the pumps, although stripe, whitebass and largemouth are not uncommon this time of year, however fishing has been pretty slow there lately. No shad minnows to speak of schooling in the area and the bowfin ("scaley cats" to some) are still abundant near the pumphouse. Bream have been VERY slow there, where they are usually being caught hand over fist.

The best bite in the evening at the pumps, lately, has been mosquitoes...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]