Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 05, 2003 at 22:55:44:
Alex and I put in at Goose Pond this morning to try for bream (bluegills and shellcrackers) one last time.
We found some in the same places we last fished when we caught between 300 and 400, but didn't find anywhere near the numbers that we found on our last trip. We used the same techniques for finding them, but had a little better luck on crickets this time. Didn't bring any worms, so I can't say if that would have helped.
We also explored a few "new" spots of which one produced most of the shellcrackers. Alex put me to shame today. Although we were working the same lures/bait, he put nearly all of the shellcrackers in the livewell.
The best beds we found were relatively "off-shore". That is to say that they were not near the banks nor were they near thick millfoil. We looked for humps that had dark "spots" of millfoil, but weren't thick millfoil forests.
One place we only hit a little and late was the ridge in the center of the river that runs all the way to the BB Comer bridge. Actually we only crossed it at one point, but it looks like a good run to make if you have the time. Lots of "likely" habitat areas.
Many thanks to Alex for the several fun and productive trips we had on Guntersville this year!
Anyway, that is all for us on the big G for bream this year. Next, wait for the mayfly(willowfly) hatches on Wheeler and a little fly fishing. Then it gets too hot for me, although I have started doing a little more bass fishing lately. So, who knows... (grin)
Good luck and good fishin'
Forgot to say that we kept 50. About 32 were shellcrackers (redear sunfish). If we weren't being picky we most likely would have kept a limit of 100, but we were being very picky. Total fish caught was probably between 150 and 200 with Alex boating the most fish, especially the shellies and also getting the majority of the quality fish put into the livewell.
Post a Followup