Guntersville bass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on June 03, 2003 at 20:06:38:

I fished my annual charity tournament on Saturday. The wind was howling at 20 mph steadily throughout the day. Sounds like the Civitan tourney produced some good sacks, but it only took less than 14 pounds to win our tourney. Last year, the same guys produced multiple sacks just under 20 pounds.

I have never seen the fish so spastic. Every bite was an assured jump. My first fish, about a 3 pounder on a spinnerbait, was lost to the cause. It was just like my two days of practice where I lost a 5 pounder in Siebold on a spinnerbait. I had switched spinnerbaits, added a trailer hook, used a stiffer rod, and had bigger line. All to no avail. Just like the few hours of prefishing downriver, the back of the boat was getting it done with a Rattletrap. A trap is not easy to fish with all the grass and trash in the water. Regardless, I tied one on to find milfoil so that I could toss my spinnerbait or soft plastic. I could not stop getting bit on the trap, so I kept throwing it. I had replaced the original hooks with Gamugatsu hooks to make it a super trap. No change in result. Multiple 4 pounders made a fool out of me, and I must have lost 5-6 keepers. I even knocked one back of the boat keeper off with a bad net job grabbing the fish and hooks from the top side. This was after the fish had already jumped three times and was still on the hooks! I am snakebit. The monkey is on my back and I can't shake it. By the way, all of this happened upriver.

A trap is a real pain with all the emerging patches of grass. However, around boathouses, the grass was spotty and the fish sheltered from the wind seemed to be on a feeding frenzy. I think any reaction bait might have been the ticket that day. I am going to try Excalibur hooks and see if I get a different result. Maybe I should have just stuck with old rusty hooks. Maybe the back hook on a trap is smaller for a reason?? If it were easy, I suppose everyone would be doing it!! Perhaps I need to go back to the basics and bream fish with all the reported activity.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]