Re: Guntersville bream fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 31, 2003 at 23:32:02:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville bream fishing posted by Red on May 30, 2003 at 10:35:40:

I would agree about the abandoned beds except that they were very substantial beds in VERY shallow water, one foot or less. Even with the stained (muddy) color of the water we could easily see the beds.

So, that makes me think they were made during the flood when those areas would have been under much more water and as the water dropped from flood level back to normal levels those fish would have moved out even though they had already made beds. I have seen this effect on Wheeler many, many times with Wheeler's 6 foot drawdown and relatively large level fluctuations at any given time of year, especially during heavy rainy seasons.

Also, the fact that we didn't see ANY fish at all in the general area of these beds leads me to believe that they were made during the flood and since then abandoned. I have rarely seen large beds like this become totally inactive this early under normal conditions. That is to say, not even little tiny bream running around them after the bigger fish have moved on. We didn't see ANY fish with the exception of the couple of gar noted.

The flood might explain the "razorback" bluegills, but doesn't explain why the shellcrackers didn't have the same problem. The gills color was OK, although some of them looked a little rough for wear.

In any case, thanks for the reply and as always,

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: