Guntersville bream fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 30, 2003 at 00:48:40:

Alex and I fished out of Goose Pond on wednesday past, May 28th.

We caught approximately 300 to 400 bream. No, that is not an exaggeration! We kept our limit and had a mixture of bluegills and shellies.

The fish hit on tiny plastic minnows best, but also took crickets. Although I took worms to make sure to get some shellies, they didn't hit them nearly as well as I had hoped. We also used tiny spinner baits like "beetle spins" to locate beds, then switched to baits under a cork once located. The jigs used for the spinner baits were bass assassins and squirrel tail jigs. Like I said, very similar to the well known "beetle spins" most every panfisherman is familiar with. Average depth of water where we caught them was from 2 to 4 feet deep. I think there might be some bigger fish deeper, but we didn't find any deeper than 4 feet.

We started out trying to work areas that normally are good early in the bream spawning season, but the millfoil in those areas (even though it was stunted by the recent flood) was already making it difficult to locate beds. These areas had also probably already been fished pretty hard before we got back at them since the flood. So, we went to areas that normally are late to "fill up" with millfoil and that seemed to be the ticket. These areas were even further behind in millfoil growth than normal due to the flood, but produced the most fish for us.

We also found some VERY obvious beds that were in VERY shallow water. I am not sure if these beds had been fished out or were just made during the flood and with the water now back at normal levels, the fish simply left the beds. In these areas, we didn't see ANY fish with the exception of a couple of gar. That makes me think that the fish had made the beds when the water was high and when the water level fell back to normal, they abandoned the beds, but who knows? I sure don't since this was the first time I have been back to Guntersville since the flood.

Another thing we noted was that many of the bigger bluegill look anemic. I started calling them "razorbacks" since they had the profile of a really good gill and should have weighed 3/4 of a pound at least, but when you looked at them head on, their backs were not wide and actually came to a point just where the dorsal fin and back meet. The shellcrackers we caught didn't seem to have this problem, but most of the bigger gills did. Don't know if this is a disease or something to do with the flood and/or spawn, but it was disappointing to see fish that should have had from 2 to 4 ounces more actual meat on them looking so anemic.

Well, that's about as much as I can pack into this report.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]