bass on Guntersville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by hogjawl on May 20, 2003 at 11:41:42:

Been reading this great forum and thought I would give something back with a few posts. Used to put in and fish around the Goosepond area but bought a place in Hollywood (on the little Town Creek) mid-2002 and have been putting together some good efforts on the bass around the creeks there. Had a great April and were on bass strong until the flood conditions. I was back down cleaning up from the high water the week of 5/12 and fished 5/15 through 5/18. I was in bass Thursday afternoon and Friday morning but they were slow with a couple of short hits and weak swings on the bait. I moved off of several proven flats that had been producing on rattletraps (and just about anything else) prior to the rains going up a little on the weed lines and caught a couple of 14 inchers on slow moving chuggers but we had to throw our arms off for them. Went to a big fish technique right up on the bank in waters that I was exploring at the back of Racoon... these were new areas for me and with the bass so slow I thought it was a good time to look around. After bouncing off of the bottom a few times and getting towards the back of the creek channel I got two nice fish (both around five pounds as I got a very clear look at them) up off of visible structure in about three foot of water but both hit short on top water and then failed to take a drop in bait. I always drop in an unweighted worm on any significant missed swings. Most of the time decend bass will take the drop in bait if they miss the hooks on the first bait entirely especially in water this dingy. They just did not stay with it on Friday as I could not get either of these two fish to take anything again. I went back to the flats about two hours before dark. I was confident the fish were there. On this effort I started with a very bouyant shad crankbait in about five to six foot of sparse weeds cranking it down until it bumped a weed and then letting in float itself off. This can be very effective at times and believe it or not you can fish fairly heavy weeds without hanging the bait if you use patience and good technique. This can be good on slow fish as well. This produced nothing. My buddy was slinging a buzzbait (he fishes with his eyes!) and I saw a decent swirl on his bait. I went to a buzzbait as well for the last twenty minutes of light and things improved. We boated a seven and a six with several impressive short hits in about a fifteen minute period and then it was over. Word of advice, when it gets to dark for you to see your bait go to a slow moving chugger modified with weedless wireguard hooks (first turned down and the rear turned up with additional skirt or plastic on the rear). You will get far more hookups with something that is bulky and slow moving... a buzzbait will produce hits but keeping it up on the water makes it to fast in very dark conditions. I did not do this on this particular trip (i.e. did not have all of my tackle with me) and it cost me a couple of nice fish. Both fish were females that looked like they had spawned in April. This kind of puzzled me in that the fish I had taken late in April had not spawned and the May moon was Thursday night... but hey they do not all spawn on the same moon. Between the storms Saturday I did some more exploring and mapping with very little casting. I plan of fishing this Wednesday and early Thursday and will try to build a little on these patterns. With more stable water things should be a little easier to figure out.

Thanks to the forum and any one interested in getting together and fishing any part of Guntersville feel free to email me . I have fished for bass my whole life from Florida to the north of Canada. I live in Murfreesboro TN. and can be on the water at little Town Creek in about an hour and twenty minutes. I bought my place there for one reason and that is fishing and let's face it, knowledge of the waters is better than anything you can carry in a tacklebox.

Thanks to the forum for this opportunity to share.

Hogjawl
Dwight Keith

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]