Re: Fishing Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Kelley on May 20, 2003 at 08:52:13:

In Reply to: Fishing Help posted by nobites on May 19, 2003 at 20:27:29:

I'm glad you want to find out more about bass fishing. That's great. I was just like you when I was in my junior high days (1968-1971), before you were born!
Let me tell you how we learned in those days. We went fishing. And we went fishing. On ponds. In creeks. At the "river". At someone's summer camp on the lake. We read everything we could find about fishing. Outdoor Life and Field and Stream. And of course, thank God, there was Ray Scott and Bassmaster magazine. We were so hungry for the knowledge we just soaked up anything about fishing.
There was no Internet. There was no "how to do it" videos by so-called experts. We developed and devised tackle and baits. It was an evolving thing, this "bass fishing". It was definitely trial and error, DOE (design of experiment) and school of hard knocks. I remember when the green box humminbird came out. Whewwww!
My point? I am seeing so many people on this website and others that are asking folks to tell them how to become bass experts overnight. Asking for info that they cannot comprehend, much less execute on the water. It's like a grade schooler asking a college senior to cheat off his exam.
Will I or anyone help you with info? Sure, if it's relevant to what you're already trying on your own. If you try flipping and have questions, I'm sure that someone here can answer that question, or you can get a video at the store that will show you how. My point again, you must invest your time in becoming a good bass fisherman, or catfisherman, or crappie. Just to ask for ALL the info to make you a bass man won't cut it. You'll never get to where you want to go that way. It's way too broad today to be able to ask a few questions and become "good" overnight.
Finally, work hard at it. You will find that every time you're on the water you will learn something new, if you're trying to learn something. But to ask for "everything" on bassin' is like being in the first grade and asking for a high school final exam so you can skip "school" and get on with your career. The "school" of fishing is the fun part. Do yourself a favor and allow at least 3-4 years to become a good, knowledgeable and successful basser. I assure you, you won't be in 3-4 days even with everyone on this site giving you info.
Sorry for the long winded thing, but I have been around the block a time or two and I get really rattled by some of the new fishermen's approach to this lifelong sport. Look at it as fun and forget the "pro" basser image. This is an evolving education that grows every time you fish, year after year. The pros even have more bad days than you can imagine. Why, if everyone eliminated the variables in bass fishing and caught as many as they wanted every trip, I imagine there would be a lot of bass boats for sale because of "boredom"!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]