Need bass catching rate input

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on May 19, 2003 at 22:39:30:

In Reply to: Fishing Help posted by nobites on May 19, 2003 at 20:27:29:

Is this a troll? Anyways, 10 bass in 6 hours - I say that is good day on the Tennessee River on an average day. If you want better, build a pond and guard it with a gun. You did not say the size, but that does not really matter. My experience on Guntersville says that some days are better, and some are worse. I am only responding here to see if I have lost it. Last year I took a guy fishing that I met on the NAFF and he never emailed afterwards to say thanks. Not even for the 20 gallons of gas for the truck and boat or the ice or, well, nothing. Not that I ever expect anything when I take people fishing! Fishing is my passion. I always refuse gas money and everything else. Maybe it was that I caught a half dozen short fish on a weekend when TVA was not generating and they caught nothing. Plus, it was a Sunday when probably 500 or more boats have given fish the sore mouth on Saturday in tournaments. I am not complaining so please, no one get fired up. Bass fishing has grown nationwide. Guntersville is a good fishery, but gets its share of pressure. According to TVA, Wheeler has been better many years based on numbers. For those that read reports of 20+ pound sacks winning tournaments, I hope they realize that hundreds of boats did not catch a limit. Skill, perseverence, and luck play a large roll. Now, here is the way I see it.

Back between 1982-1985 I was doing good to get bit. I left for college and came back from 1991-1994. Caught 20-30 fish per day on a regular basis because of the milfoil growth. The way I remember it, TVA killed the milfoil during this period and the bite dropped off dramatically. Went back to graduate school, moved to the overfished and overpopulated metropolis of Atlanta, and came back in 2000. Since then, I have found bass fishing to be lots of work. I even hired "THE" local guide for 3 trips and limited one time (five over 15") with about 15 pounds with 2 people and the guide fishing for about 9 hours.

You want to be good? Forget about spending all that money on scents and stuff and focus on finesse. PERSEVERENCE is the key. But, you also have to have the right tackle to handle the grass. If you fish enough, you will be there on the day when the current, temperature, moon, and whatever else is right. I have been fishing for 23 years and I am only 36. I have yet to catch a bass over 10 pounds, but have caught a handful over 7 pounds up to 9-1/2 pounds. If it were easy, well, it would not be challenging. I had to pick up fishing for stripers and crappie to make the year a little bit rewarding.

Anyone care to claim that they can catch 5 fish over 15 inches on just about every trip? I would like to see it on a REALLY consistent basis. This is just my opinion and I don't get to fish like I used to. I think it is only a small percentage of fisherman that can do it regularly, and then only after many years of experience.

I will be bass fishing G- for my annual tournmanet practice in the next few weeks. I will post results if I establish a pattern.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]