Perspective Analysis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on May 17, 2003 at 22:15:51:

In Reply to: Amount of water released at Wheeler dam recently posted by Kerry Grissett on May 17, 2003 at 01:52:23:

For a guy that never had physics, I think Kerry is a natural at scientific calculations. I did not check the math, but I bet he spent more time on this than he would downloading a *.PDF file to see the dynamics of elevation variance in a river.

Condider the following. Air is 784 times less dense than water. To keep things simple, we can say that damage requires energy, and most of the (damage) energy is kinetic in nature since swift moving wind and water come to mind. Kinetic enery for a particle of mass generally 0.5x(mass)x(velocity)x(velocity). The velocity factor is not doubled, but is squared and increasing at exponential proportions. Would you rather face a 30 mph flood current or 60 mph wind? You can do the math, but that "squared velocity" term does not hold its weight against an increase of 784 times the mass (for the proportions of wind and water that we see during storms). Like Kerry said: That is a heckuva lotta heavy water that is very dangerous as we all should WELL know. Never tempt fate. Stay home and type crap like this rather than traverse a flooded river for recreation. Will it ever stop raining??

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]