Re: Lake Wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 16, 2003 at 23:58:58:

In Reply to: Lake Wheeler posted by P-nut on May 16, 2003 at 02:05:33:

I don't know how much luck you will have with the crappie, but "usually" the willowflies/mayflies start to hatch out somewhere around the first of June on Wheeler, give or take a week. However, since last fall many things have been running nearly a month behind "normal" schedule, so who knows. Make sure to bring a flyrod in case the flies are hatching. Use a popping bug or "popper and dropper" to catch lots of bream and some smallies. The "popper and dropper" is simply a popping bug with a leader tied to the bend of its hook that has a wet fly of some sort or even a VERY tiny weighted feather jig (64th to 80th oz) tied to the leader. If they don't hit the popper, they will hit the dropper. Lots of fun and number on topwater and sometimes catches quality fish!

Depending on the rains and water levels/conditions, I would expect you should see a repeat of your last trip and maybe even better! It is really hard to say. Unless the weather gets as bad as the flooding conditions we had recently, I feel pretty confident in saying you should be able to get on fish during the first week of June. Maybe even some crappie, but don't hold your breath as that is very late for them on Wheeler, at least for me! (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

In any case, please post a report of your trip and let us know how you do. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]