Wheeler Shellies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 03, 2003 at 22:50:35:

In Reply to: Big G bream a bedding part II posted by Snapperking on May 03, 2003 at 22:00:38:

Alex and I tried at Spring Creek today and managed 62. All but about 4 of those were shellcrackers. Not really big ones, but decent, filet size anyway. Biggest shellcracker was probably right at a pound or a little better. Will let you know when I hear from Alex since we didn't weigh any while fishing.

We only found 2 good beds and after we caught all we could off of one spot, we moved in to look at the area and couldn't see any specific reason why we caught the majority of the day's catch on that spot. Go figure?

Crickets worked, but worms finished them off! Not much out of the Keystone minnow or other artificials though.

At the first bed we were able to actually see the fish taking the worms/crickets. That was really fun since you didn't always see any movement out of the cork. Being able to actually see the shellies head toward the bait and the gills flare just before they inhaled the bait... well, it was pretty fun! I am sure some folks will say we were too close and they are probably right, but it was tough locating them on a cloudy day and once located it seemed to work better if we just anchored off right where we were and worked the bed even though we were essentially on top of it.

Also, only saw one area with obvious bluegill beds and they had already been worked over pretty good. Best is yet to come!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]