Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 5-1-2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on May 01, 2003 at 01:29:10:

DATE: 05-01-03
SURFACE TEMP: 69.4 in am - 77.1 pm
WATER CLARITY: A little dingy but not bad
WATER LEVEL: 563.4 Just a taste off of full pool
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0

CRAPPIE: Our crappie are turning black.In the process of spawning. Minnows and jigs thrown at the bank, around docks.Still catching
a lot of short fish but a few keepers. Looks like we are going to have a good spawn.With as many short fish that we have, all the 9 7/8
females are busting with eggs.Night fishing has started to be productive around the bridges, drops. Watch you depth finder and you
will know how deep to fish for them.If you do not have a depth finder, you are doing the Braille method of fishing.

BASS:Bass fishermen are doing pretty great throwing 1/2 oz spinnerbaits and rat'l traps. Shallow points and flats.Try to find the
warmest water you can.

STRIPE: I am flapping! In a few days I am going to catch some shad and start looking.Everybody I know is flapping.If a 100 boat
tournament comes in with 1 stripe, everybody is flapping.They are still here.Guarantee you they did not go to Florida for spring
break.With the unusual weather, bet you a nickel they are deep.

WHITE BASS: Trying to spawn.I haven't seen a jump. A few can be trolled up shallow in the back end of coves.

CATFISH: First full moon in May and the big ones will be around any rocks you can find.They will hit about anything.Don't be
surprised if you get your arm broke.

CARP: That's right I said CARP! They destroy crappie beds, and bass beds.We need to get rid of as many as we can.They have no
natural predators.You bow hunters need to step in and help eliminate some of these things.Any help would be appreciated.

Tip of the day: Help the lake by cutting the barb off your hook. So many crappie are killed by the barb.I have several emails on people
seeing dead crappie. Some small some huge.The smaller ones are hook problems and the larger ones are stress due to the strange
weather.Lake is in good shape. Can't be helped.
Thanks, Steve www.weisslakeguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]