Re: Bream Beds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 30, 2003 at 00:05:54:

In Reply to: Bream Beds posted by Dent on April 29, 2003 at 11:28:19:

A lot depends on whether you have a boat or not? From the bank, your choices will be quite limited and from my recent experience, the bream simply aren't hitting very well from the bank in the areas I have tried.

If you have a boat, you might try areas near the train bridge and railroad causeway, Beulah bay and the area (flats) in between. If you are willing and able, you might try something that I do early in the season (now) to try and find beds. This involves a lot of stamina and good trolling motor batteries. I troll at my highest speed on the trolling motor close to grass beds near the shore. I use polarized sunglasses so that I can see under the water better. When I spot good sized bream scooting out of the weed beds, I pull out about 20 to 30 feet and let them have a few minutes to unspook. If they are on bed, they will return in a short time and can be caught fairly easily with a tiny jigging minnow or crickets/worms.

Given that Wheeler's water is usually a lot more stained or muddy than Guntersville lake, this method is not always as productive on Wheeler as it has been for me on Guntersville lake.

I wish I could point you to a particular area, but I am still searching myself and haven't found any significant beds around Decatur, yet. One area you might try is in front of the Point Mallard water park. It is a good "likely" bedding area and has produced many good bream in past years.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]