Wilson tailrace report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on April 22, 2003 at 11:13:07:

I got home from a long weekend of fishing yesterday, so here's my report: I managed only two smallmouth over 3 pounds and both were caught in the slack water behind Jackson Island. One weighed 3.7 and the other 4.1 pounds -- both were caught shortly before sundown. They were beautiful fish, but not the 6 pound mossback I was wishing for. For some reason the early morning bite was slim to none on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The water level seemed to be a foot or two higher than it was this time last year.

If anyone is looking for catfish -- Pickwick is the place to go. We caught many more catfish than smallies. The white bass and stripers were just about all we could catch when we fished in the current near the turbines -- plenty of them too!

Almost every fish was caught on a live minnow. Shad were hard to come by so we used creek minnows for the most part. I found a few yellowtails in the old barge canal, but no big schools of bait like last year. Artificials were not very productive for me on this trip.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]