Re: Installing a depth finder on my boat.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by oshi on April 15, 2003 at 20:32:39:

In Reply to: Re: Installing a depth finder on my boat..... posted by David on April 15, 2003 at 17:45:19:

buy a fiberglass repair kit, complete with resin. Build an area, sand smooth and do it again. You will need to build it just big enough to tap your mount in for the transducer. You will need to cut out squares, about 2 inches and put it on and keep building it up enough to keep your screws from entering the transom. You could use some putty, or molding and then do it.
Basically what you are doing is building and area to tap, without it going in your transom, if you follow me,
good luck and this is just a suggestion, you may come up with something better.
Think of it as patching a drywall and put the putty on to thick, you are doing the same thing, but you do not want to sand it off even, just enough to build and area to keep the screws from entering or penetrating the transom.
The reason I do this is because I had a skibarge and ran the screws to deep, and developed a leak into the hull. Hence, my foam became waterlogged...
I did this on my Ranger and wish I would breakdown and buy a digital camera so I could take pics of what I have done and post them here so you could see it.
Good luck
oshi

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]