Re: Fishing around Dams on Tennessee River

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 09, 2003 at 21:38:17:

In Reply to: Fishing around Dams on Tennessee River posted by David on April 08, 2003 at 18:31:27:

Along with the rule for wearing certified life preservers, the main thing is to use common sense. The waters below all of the dams can become very dangerous VERY quickly if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Generators can come on suddenly and without notice, so anchoring near the dams is not recommended although I see people doing it at times. Watch the other folks and talk to them when you are out there. Most folks are more than happy to offer advice below the dams, especially concerning safety. To my knowledge, there are not any restrctions due to the present situation with the war in Iraq or terrorism, but this could change at any time. I think TVA and other authorities have realized that the fishermen are an asset as far as having their eyes and ears out there on the water. We, more than most others, will know when something strange is going on and report it asap!

Wilson dam has some shallow water that can be very hazardous when trying to get up to the dam. There are many large rocks that can take the foot off of your motor and maybe put you in the water too! So, especially if the water below Wilson is low, use EXTREME CAUTION if you try below Wilson. Wheeler and Guntersville dams are relatively safe from this problem.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]