Buffalo/Carp spawning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 09, 2003 at 21:21:28:

The buffalo and maybe carp are making their spawning run behind Mooresville at the gravel pits. At least for the last 2 days there have been literally hundreds, maybe thousands of them! It has the appearance similar to a salmon spawning run. Average size seems to be small, 3-10 pounds, but they are thrashing about in the rapids of the creek at the back of Mooresville in great numbers. Simply drag a jig across them and one will either hit it or you will snag one.

I don't know how long they will continue to run like this, so get there soon if you are interested. Bowfishermen take note!

Take the first exit east of I65 off of I565 and head south. When you hit old Hwy 20, jog left and immediately turn right. You should see the Alabama Mountain Lakes Association. Take that road until it turns into a dirt road. Please respect the speed limit in historical town of Mooresville! Follow the dirt road until you get to an obvious dirt road on the left. Take that until it ends. You should be able to find the buffalo by hearing/seeing them thrashing around in the shallow rapids of the stream there. If you don't like to get you vehicle muddy, then you shouldn't go. You might even be able to see some of them from one of the bridges on I565 between Mooresville and Greenbriar road.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

Keep an eye out for alligators. No kidding!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]