Wheeler Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ked on April 02, 2003 at 23:25:13:

A day late but fished Tuesday April 1. Fish were very shallow in 2-3 ft of water. Everyone else I saw was fishing deep and not doing much good except for catching short fish and skip jack. I probably caught 40-50 total but only had 15 keepers all 10" - 1 1/2lb or better. Probably threw back 10 that were 9" and the rest were real short. Most of the short ones came in water 6 ft or more. Didn't catch keepers until I went shallow. Water temp was 57-59 degrees and low. Wind and current were a challenge. All were caught on minnows (sorry Kerry) couldn't get a bite on jigs. Most of the keeper fish I caught were paired up. If you caught one throw back in the same spot and there was the other and then you had to move. The male/female ratio was about the same but they still did not look like they were ready to Spawn. Caught some bass that were busting with eggs. With the temps predicted in the 70's and overnight lows staying in the 50's it won't be too much longer. I saw some dogwood trees fully bloomed out. Get ready before it's over.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]