Wheeler crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 01, 2003 at 22:38:36:

I know it has been a long time since I posted a report. My apologies. I simply haven't had much to report.

This past friday I did get out in the boat and managed to catch 14 with about 10 of those being nice fish at about a pound to 1.5 pounds. Those fish were in VERY shallow water and hit jigs fished from 1 to 2 feet deep. The trick was to work the jigs as little as possible and simply let the wind and current move them while just keeping the slack out of your line.

Well, that was last friday... the water on Wheeler was down where I like it and the weather had been warm. Since TVA insists on bouncing (heavy sigh) Wheeler's level around this time of year (hope it will stabilize before the spawn!!!) and we have had a cold snap, things have changed. Today I tried several places from the bank and finally found them in 8 to 10 feet of water. I was using jigs under a cork at first, about 5 feet deep and changed to tightline when the hit slowed. Actually I went back and forth between the two methods and managed to catch 25 keepers, but I only took 19 home. Average size was only about a half pound with a few around 3/4+. All but one were white crappie.

Color used was arkansas shiner bass assassin (tan or brown) and a little lure I picked up at Shelton's Clothing store near Moulton that is similar to a crappie slider, er..um.. but different. It was similar in color but maybe more of a gold tone. Don't know the name of the lure as they were sold to me by the pound ($4.99 a pound) and the box had no label, at least not one that I saw.

Sorry, no surface temp report.

The larger fish I caught friday were all females (4 were males) and all were white crappie. The eggs in the females were not ready to drop. Bright yellow in color and still small. I had a hard time distinguishing individual eggs from each other. The males weren't loaded up with sperm, but some were showing a little spawning display, but not the "dipped in charcoal dust" look.

I gave the 19 I caught today to a friend, so I don't know the male/female ratio or the state of the eggs/sperm. None were showing spawning display. I'll try again in the morning and let you know if I catch anything worth talking about.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]