Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 4-2-2003

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on April 01, 2003 at 20:21:33:

DATE: 04-02-03
LAKE LEVEL: 562.5
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 51 on top and 60 2 foot down,47 yesterday
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: The crappie want to spawn. Had 48 keepers on Saturday trolling Godfrey's Island and Dead Boy and Waterhouse. Had 15
on Sunday after the cold front and the high winds.Had 2 on Monday, surface temp dropped 21 degrees as did my body temp. We were
catching crappie in shallow water pulling a 1/32nd at 2.5. When I say catching we were catching.100-150 per day.20-40 keepers. But,
that has come to a screeching halt. The shallow crappie we were catching a few days ago had started turning black, (spawning colors).
Sunday's fish had their spawning colors 10 feet deep in 12 feet of water. With the temps warming throught out the week, by the latter
part of the week, things should be back to normal.Which means fishing a foot deep in 2 foot of water.Jigs or minnows, trolling or
throwing a float.For you trollers, short casts 1/32nd oz jig, blue and bubble gum. For you minnow fishermen, throwing a float up on the
bank and bring her back slow. Most of the docks have brush around them. Look for rod holders on the dock and the direction they are
pointed and these secret brush piles are no longer secret anymore. Around and under the docks will also be productive.Should catch
large numbers but a limited number of keepers. I would strongly recommend that you mash the barb off your hooks so you do less
damage to the short fish.There are some poachers, they are stealing from you and me.Report them immediately to Game Watch
1-800-272-4263. If we leave the 9+ fish alone we will not have a fish shortage.

BASS: Bass are not actually doing that bad. 1/2 oz Rat'l Trap, chrome and blue.Shallow points and humps. Pig-n-jig crawdad color
around the rocks.

STRIPE: This is the first year that I have not seen the birds diving on the stripe. I have picked up a few in the mouth of Pine Cone and
a few down the Slackland beach area trolling for crappie.When I get on them I will let you know.

BREAM: Bream are on their pre-spawn pattern on Guntersville. They are suspended 4 feet deep in 5-6 feet of water. Gravel bottom,
structure and rocks. Wax worms work the best.One of my guides limited out by 3:00 3 days in a row.

CATFISH: A lot of catfish shallow, suspended in with the crappie. A lot of catfish being caught around the fish cleaning stations, some
of them huge.You bank fishermen need to take advantage of this.

The water is still about 2 foot low. Just enough to make you over-confident.Be careful.No 1/2 off prop sales. Our out of state guests are
off about 60% due to the slow fishing the last couple of years. A lot of business are hurting. Lets try to be extra friendly to them. We
need them. Without their tax revenue we are hurting and so are the business in Centre. If I can be of any help, I do not mind
answering your questions. I would like you to ask them on the chat board so that in answering your question I am answering a whole lot
of questions. Thanks, Steve 256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]